Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Canada-China Scholarly Exchange Program Alumni Registration

Canada-China Scholarly Exchange Program Alumni Registration
http://www.scholarships.gc.ca/alumni-en.html

This is the link to the website the Canadian deparment of Foreign Affairs has established to register CCSEP alumni. I hope that it will lead to a reunion. It is harder and harder for me to find anyone interested in hearing me recount my reminiscences of my glorious youth in Shanghai in the 1970s. Maybe I really should take out some of the vivid details and insightful asides, but I am loathe to do so after honing these stories so well after so many repetitions of them. I guess I became old and boring more than ten years ago. Anyway it seems that to Chinese youth today the Cultural Revolution is history as far removed from contemporary realities as the Boxer Rebellion and Heavenly Kingdom of the Taipings. As Marx points out: "Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana" (Groucho Marx).

No comments: