Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Tibetan Dancing at Olympic Torch Ceremony on Tian'anmen Square on March 31

I do not remember seeing any Tibetans doing any dancing when I visited Tibet some years ago. I have often seen Chinese variety shows with one act being Han Chinese young women dressed in cowboy hats with false long braids doing what is described in the program as "Chinese ethnic minority dance (Tibetan)". I am not sure how Tibetans regard this sort of performance. Are they pleased? Are they flattered?

I think that it is hard for PRC people to understand why Tibetans in Tibet or for that matter ethnic Chinese abroad and on Taiwan don't want to be part of the Great China rise projet. They think that all things being equal they should be just as enthusiastic about it as Chinese in China are supposed to be.

No comments: