Saturday, May 29, 2010

Canada's Suspension of Diplomatic Relations with North Korea

When I was working for DFAIT in the late-1990s, I strongly supported Canada's diplomatic recognition of the DPRK (which finally came about in 2001). I thought Canada could identify engage and support agents of change there and encourage the DPRK to move toward compliance with international norms of state behaviour domestically and internationally. I now realize that I was naive in my assessment of the nature of the regime there. The Kim family regime in North Korea  could go on a long time longer sustained and supported by China, sorry to say. 

Hope I am wrong again about this.


For details on Canada's suspension of diplomatic relations with DPRK: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/canada-suspends-diplomatic-relations-with-north-korea-over-warship-sinking-94869569.html

CanKor has published a blog posting entitled "Confusion over Canada's suspension of relations": http://www.cankor.ca/confusion-over-canada-s-suspension-of-relations.php

No comments: